Tuesday, August 24, 2010

The Closet is Hell

I believe in life situations creating inspirations for blogs. The other day I was indirectly told to come out the closet by straight women. Because she read a man's quote on the closet being being hell. A women who in the grade scheme of things believes she has me down to a science. Despite having never had a proper conversation with me or actually meeting me. Not to say I'm mad at this women because frankly I'm still trying figure out who's closet she's been in because It certainly was not mine.


I've personally spent a lot of personal time in my closet. Growing up virtually an only child imagination was an important key to play time. In Senior Kindergarten I was convinced I was SuperMan and my closet was my phone booth. I'd run in in my PJs are come out in my super suit. That was also the same year I jumped off the top of a 10 ft slide and realized I couldn't fly.  It was a tragic revelation in my young life that didn't last long.

By first grade I was convinced I was a western sheriff and my closet became the town saloon. I had my six shooters and chaps and my little boots with it's kiddie plastic spurs.

By Second grade I knew I was Captain Kirk and my closet was the Enterprise. It even came with a vulcan, medical doctor and a scottish man that drank to much.

By Third Grade...I was definitely Han Solo and my closet turned into the millennium falcon complete with Chewy.

By fourth grade I could never decide weather I was Batman or Robin and my closet just happened to be the coolest bat cave ever. Alfred ran all the tech and made sure the Batmobile and Robin Cycle were primed waxed and cleaned.

Eventually by 5th grade...I'd discovered my true calling as Indiana Jones and came out my closet and started going on adventures in the wood. Eventually I grew out of my imaginary games but not my imagination. 

My closet has been a lot of things over years but hell was never one of them. These days it's great place to storing the crap 20 year olds are popular.

Now I know there is a metaphorical closet in the gay world and I'm not down playing that in anyway. Because I'm sure that closet can definitely be a persons hell but it's never been mine.

-Hutch

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I can't believe the audacity of that woman. Who does she think she is? Excellent response, my friend. My own closet was a lot of things, Hell on occasion because we had no a/c when I was growing up and I got to be a sweaty mess when I was looking for something in there. Of course it was also the Tardis where I had many adventures with the good Doctor. This chick needs to clean out her own closet before she starts in some one else's.

Stuart said...

Totally agree with you, Melissa. I can't believe the woman's audacity, either. This is a case where the woman is probably hiding in a closet of her own!

My closet was hell and probably of my own making. It's taken me most of my life to come out of it.

So now I'm out of it. A bit late perhaps. But better late than never, huh?

Hutch Gibbs said...

Glad you two dig the post

Hutch Gibbs said...

Rex if I cut through my closet I'd end up in the shower. It would of been a great short cut but then I ran the chance of my room flooding.